Nook Farm logo
Fingerpost Productions
 Fingerpost Productions
 George Warner House
Photo of the George Warner House courtesy of the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center

The George Warner House

George Warner married Elizabeth Gillette in 1867, and they built a large house to the north of her family's house in 1873. It was designed by Edward Tuckerman Potter and completed in 1873. In 1884, the Warner family moved into the Gillette family home next door. George's brother, Charles Dudley Warner, moved from Hawthorn Street into George's vacant house. The two brothers worked on a massive project, a 30-volume anthology "The Library of the World's Best Literature," published in 1896 to 1897. The house was torn down to make room for the new Hartford High School.

© 2007 Fingerpost Productions, Inc. -- All Rights Reserved