On the east side of Forest Street, from Charles Smith's property to the corner, was one of the largest estates in the neighborhood, the home of Newton Case and his wife, Ellen. They had a big mansion house, a large cross-shaped greenhouse, a pond and several outbuildings. Mr. Case, who lived from 1807 to 1890, started his own printing business in 1830, which became Case, Lockwood and Brainard in 1853, a very successful firm. Mr. Case retired in 1875. After his wife's death the property was subdivided for development. South Marshall Street cut through their parcel in 1909 as far as Case Street. Mr. Case was also a director of the American Publishing Company, which published Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad.